Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Sunday in Rome

I was up early on Sunday morning and on the streets by 7 a.m which is before the coffee shops open. (note to self- research before returning to Rome)

There were few people in the streets apart from the taxi drivers who wait by the Pantheon. Others were maybe people going to work- hopefully in a nearby cafe! Carol was still asleep but we were meeting for breakfast in the hotel at 9 a.m. Our rooms are on that top floor, extreme left. The little bush there is on our balcony. Above you can see the trees on the rooftop bar.






We'll visit the Pantheon much later in the day.

I searched the narrow streets for a coffee shop. We had gotten great coffee in this street the day before.


None open yet. Delivery vans (small through necessity) were starting to appear in the streets to stock the stores for another busy day.

I decided to take a walk while it was so quiet. I wanted to get a better idea of what was around us. I walked around the square before branching out up unknown streets. This cafe had it's seats set up but was not yet serving.




I walked through a nearby square....


and came to a wide street where I found some old ruins exposed in a quiet square




The streets were starting to come alive by this time




A group on a walking tour


I am back, close to Piazza della Rotonda






When we drove past this cafe yesterday Franco told us it was "the best coffee in Rome" but it had a line out the door and into the street. There was a line inside today but I didn't go in. I was going to have my coffee near the Pantheon.


Here is the Pantheon, seen from the rear as I walked towards the square


Once back in the square I sat in the shade at a cafe and had a cappuccino. Sitting outside on a sunny Sunday morning drinking great cappuccino was a fitting way to start my day. I love the Rome coffee culture and the way they sit and relax quietly. Some were even reading newspapers-on paper!


It was approaching 9 a.m and soon we would be going for breakfast. I could see Carol up there on our balcony....


Carol reads her daily newspapers (New York Times and Wall Street Journal) on her Kindle. No paper for her!


We had a nice quiet breakfast in the hotel. A small buffet by American standards but good simple food and excellent coffee-try finding that in America!

Then we were ready for a walk- Carol wanted to see Castel Sant' Angelo which is mentioned in one of our favorite Italian operas-Tosca by Giacomo Puccini.

We'll walk there next....

No comments:

Post a Comment