Monday, March 31, 2014

Lunch on the Danube

We like river tours. Oh yes. Berlin? Superb tours there as there is so much water in that city. Two rivers! St Louis-the Mighty Mighty Mississippi. Ditto Cincinatti on the Ohio river. New York Harbor-what a great ride that is. We've done a ride on Lake Mead culminating with our ship facing the Hoover Dam. What a sight! We've been on the Rhine, sailing along between the rugged cliffs in the sunshine. So presented with a lot of Danube on our doorstep we couldn't resist getting out on a small cruise ship for a two hour sail. We'd even get to go through some locks!

We decided to meet the ship way south of the city so we could get the full two hour experience but that meant a subway ride.  So here's a short video. The boat landing was at a yacht club and there I found  that they had a bar/restaurant with outdoor dining, with the Danube as eye-candy right by our table. I meant to just have a beer while waiting for the boat to come into view but as I sat there savory smells of scorched meat assailed my nostrils and I ordered some food. This was a great idea as the meal turned out to be stellar and the best bite I had in Vienna. Pork medallions with bacon bits on top served with fantastic roast potato pancake and a side of cool Tzatziki sauce. Alas as I was eating the boat appeared in the distance and so when I finished and there was no waiter around I went into the restaurant and paid the bill rather than wait. With the clock ticking we made our way towards the ship only to find a fence in our way! Damn! Some people got off but we didn't see people waiting to get on. We scrambled to find another route over to the ship and did but by the time we got to the dock the ship was 100 feet off shore and that was probably beyond my leap as I was weighed down by a bag of Japenese cameras and a stomach full of pork and potatoes. I figured my leap would fall short by a margin of 94 feet and I couldn't gamble on suddenly discovering a grasshopper in my ancestry. So I stood and waved my fist at the ship, vowing vengeance. Grrrr!

Rats!! We are not quitters though and immediately formed Plan B. There in the distance was the subway station. There would be a train that would take us up-river faster than the boat and we could join her for a shortened cruise! Brilliant!

So after this set-back we join the much anticipated river cruise!


No comments:

Post a Comment