Sunday, March 30, 2014

Around Stephansdom-St Stephens Cathedral

The pedestrian district-which is known as the Graben- gets more than it's fair share of feet strolling along it's wide expanse. Soon more feet would join ours as it was now 10 a.m on a Saturday in summer and the shops and cafes were open and ready for business. Couples stroll hand in hand, mothers wheel babies in whatever those things are called-space age prams. The vibe is relaxed and carefree. No hustlers, no beggars so I know I am not in Chicago or Berlin.



Sun, color, life! Yes it is a lovely day and we are rewarded for our long rainy drive.  If you haven't yet steered your ass towards Vienna then I hope that the photos that follow over the next few days make you consider it-only please don't go when I am going as I hate to have to line up to get in anywhere.


This building got his photo taken simply because he is beautiful. Can't think of a better reason.

 This modern building is a favorite and it has a restaurant (outdoors! Yippee!) on the top floor. We will eat there next time in Vienna and I promise I won't have another schnitzel. It reflects the spire of St Stephen's.





Here we see the Vienna version of a rickshaw and this enterprising man is offering City Tours. There are also a fleet of state of the art touring buses picking up passengers by the Opera House which is now far in the distance, out of sight, so don't crane your neck looking for it.

So now we were at the foot of the Cathedral. We didn't have time to go in just now as we had a river tour on our schedule but we wandered around the base and took a photo or two.


Um, did I mention that Vienna was one of those Mozart-infested towns? Yes he lived and worked here and as Vienna is a very musical city (Beethoven also lived here and gets two thumbs up, or three if I hadn't had that corrective surgery) and there are shows all day long which these men in Mozart period costume try to sell tickets for as you innocently walk by. I love music but I am choosy and although listening to a peppy Mozart string quartet isn't the worst way to spend an evening, for me it comes close.

St Stephen's Cathedral


The lofty spire.




Just looked at my watch and we need to get on our way to catch the tour boat. We'll be using the U Bahn (subway) as it is a good distance away.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent words and photos, as ever.

    I find Mozart's Requiem Mass beautiful but, in general, is he a tad too jaunty? I played a lot of it to our young son, as it was thought to increase intelligence, aid learning or at least calm the unruly, until one day he said, 'I HATE Mozart!'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir- I think you have raised a fine young man there and certainly one of discernment! Yes the music is too jaunty and shallow for my tastes. Not really his fault as he was born too early before the darker music of Beethoven lit up the sky.

    ReplyDelete