Thursday, March 20, 2014

Intermission

Tannhauser is the story of a medieval singer who is torn between being a nice normal likable guy and a man who wallows in debauchery in the realm of Venus, a femme fatale in a world of wild music and I imagine mind and libido expanding drugs. It's a gripping yarn, indeed, with a lot of passion and soul searching.

Emotionally you are put through a wringer full of highs and lows and it's hard not to feel sympathetic for his plight. He wants to do the right thing but man-that Venus is smoking' hot!

People are in tears at Wagner operas- I am one of them, even before the singing starts as the Wagner Orchestra is reading black dots on the page which, when arranged in the right order by a craftsman make tears fall, hard as you might try to hold them back. Once the singers chime in with their big human voices and a story-well it's all over for keeping your composure.

So, even though you would love the Opera to just keep going (even though you know exactly how it's going to end) an intermission is maybe a good thing, just to get your breath back and maybe visit a bathroom, get a beer or a delicious bratwurst (grilled sausage in crispy fresh bread with mustard) and return for one hour of life back in 21st Century Germany.

Ciaran went off to get in line for some beers and as the Germans are experts in feeding the masses he wasn't gone long. In the USA I often don't bother trying got get a drink in the 25 minute intermissions as there is usually one lonely guy trying to serve up drinks from a stand or through a little window.
The Germans have a team of servers at a long counter and work furiously to keep the line moving.

In Germany you ask for a beer and get the brew they are serving from a local brewery so don't waste your time (or their's) asking for an Old Shipmate Honey-Toasted Microwbrew Malt. They will give you the beer you deserve and you WILL enjoy it. They have been making beer in Germany long before you or your ancestors were born-and doing it well.

In German opera houses the coat-check is a huge affair with again a long line of expert coat-checkers so you are in and out in a trice.  No little window with poor old Doris having to take each coat separately and log it in a notebook. Then she does a pencil sketch of you so that she can put a face to the coat. Germany-fast, efficient and some thought has gone into the process. They have done this before and will do it even better next time!

So, let me see where I am...I am wearing a nice suit, Cologne (Armani) is working it's magic. I am hungry but know that I will be eating dinner after the show so that can wait. I am with my two favorite people in the world. I have beer.  I have just seen act I of Tannhauser in the best theater on Earth. Time to take a walk, away from the crowds and down to the pond to sit and reflect and anticipate what will come in act II. A warm, windless August evening. Can it get any better than this?? (rhetorical)

I am in Bayreuth and specifically I am in the one place where the word Bayreuth means more than just a small university town- I am at the Festspielhaus, center of the Wagner Universe. I have a ticket!
Ciaran has a ticket too! Huzzah! Carol has a ticket and is beaming, happier than I have ever seen her.






No comments:

Post a Comment