Monday, September 18, 2017

Barcelona early morning walk

I was up early, just as I would have been on the ship and planning a long walk in the dark. You'll recall I did an early morning walk in Rome a week before.

Luckily the hotel had a Nespresso machine in the small front lobby and so I took a double espresso and some warm from the oven mini-croissants which could be eaten in one big bite. I took several to cram in my cheeks like a squirrel and give me the energy I needed to walk a few miles.

I drank my coffee in the quiet street just outside the hotel. The only traffic there were early morning buses taking people to work. I think it was just before 6 a.m when I set off after 30 minutes or so of just sitting and relaxing into the day. Just two blocks away was Casa Batllo which we hoped to tour later that afternoon.




I walked along the empty sidewalk and passed the entrance to the subway station


Trash left on the sidewalk for pick-up


Now I am at the main square of Playa de Catalunya






How to get around




Now I see people, waiting for buses










Catalunya is a massive square!


Pigeons call it home




I decide to walk down La Rambla as I know it will lead me to the harbor and some fresh sea air












I don't know the name or function of the buildings I am seeing but I just love the architecture




One of the lions at the foot of the Christopher Columbus statue.

There is a group of men over on the left who have white sheets laid on the ground which will be temporary tourist "shops". If the Police come along they can pull the sides of the sheet together like a bag and walk off with their merchandise. Leather handbags seem to be their favorite stock.


Columbus monument


I'm at the harbor obviously


The tower is part of the aerial tramway that runs from the beach up onto Montjuic mountain






Crazy metal sculpture by the harbor. That's Montjuic in the distance.




Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas is the only cruise ship in port today


I can't go any further as the dock has a security fence so I turn around to head back to the hotel




No comments:

Post a Comment