Tuesday, March 3, 2015

A walk in Palermo

Once the heavy rain ended the sun came out-strong and so the humidity climbed high, like being in a steam room. carol declined my invitation to go ashore for a walk so I went by myself.

I was wearing my money belt and had my camera bag around my neck and over my shoulder so it couldn't be snatched-too much to lose by being trusting and careless.

Within a few minutes of being off the ship I met a couple of friends from the ship who were returning. The told me they had been pestered by people trying to sell them tours. The people would follow them, still trying to sell, even though it was obvious they weren't interested.

As they left me this wild-looking young guy, unshaven and with very few teeth, came up to me speaking in French. Being polite and wanting to hear what he had to say I listened. I understood that he was trying to sell me a tour to a cathedral and so politely, in French, told him I was just out to take a short walk. He walked away which was exactly what I wanted him to do. The French lessons in High School paid off!

The ship....


....was berthed next to this thing. Looks like an array of oil tanks. A coat of paint would help make it more welcoming



 A man on a bicycle was trying to mop up the dock....could take a while as the mop was a piece of carpet, rather than a sponge with water-absorbing properties.



Lirica was docked nearby


I continued with my walk. Palm trees! Nice. Certainly hot enough for them


I love the architecture!


The streets are narrow and very busy with cars and small trucks. Crossing the street I had to be careful as cars are slow to stop and give way to a pedestrian on a crossing. You need to make eye contact with the driver and don't assume he will stop.


I found a nice quiet square where I could sit on a park bench


I noticed that the area was rather untidy and the trash hadn't been picked up.  Palermo had 3,000 tourists visiting today-a town should look it's best!


When I sat down I noticed a very strong smell and it wasn't bread being baked....


Right behind me was an area where grass wasn't choosing to grow. It emitted a fetid stench. The smell of a popular dog toilet! Really? Palermo dog owners- this is OK by you? No picking up the dog shit in a plastic glove and disposing of it in a trash bin or taking it home to dispose of? Just leave it here for the tourists and the office workers relaxing on their lunch break?

I had to get away from the foul odor and continue my walk but the traffic carelessness, the trash and now this were lowering Palermo fast in my esteem. Onward!


I walked back down towards the dock.



Somewhere along the way I was hoping for a nice outdoor cafe to sit at and enjoy a beer or an espresso but the cafes all had their tables under plastic tents by which I imagined they were used to getting heavy rain. I wanted to sit outside but there was nowhere suitable that didn't have a lot of car traffic right by the tables so I decided to find a store to buy a fridge magnet in and then head back to the Ocean Princess and cleanliness.


I found such a shop and got my magnet. Much of the souvenirs reefed to the movie The Godfather and I wished that Sicily would be remembered for more than the Mafia.

Back towards the ship if I can get safely across the street!



Some pedicab drivers were parked, hoping for customers so that they could show off their beautiful city....while the trash piled up next to them







Well, I was only ashore for one hour but it didn't look inviting today. I am sure I will be on another cruise ship docking in Palermo at some point in my life and hope to see the better parts of it then.
I was wondering how all the people who took excursions enjoyed their trip ashore during the heavy rainstorm?

I was happy to see my ship again! I'll see you back onboard.




No comments:

Post a Comment