Wednesday, May 31, 2017

A most memorable lunch

I am having a very enjoyable day indeed, here in Cinque Terre in Italy. On paper it doesn't look like much, I'll admit. I rode on a bus for almost two hours. I walked down from a parking lot through a small town to the sea. I had 4 shots of espresso and got on a boat for a 20 minute windy and damp ride to another small Italian town.

I loved every minute of it because I was in Italy (How cool is that???). I was healthy (still am) and on holiday.  I had money in my Rick Steves money-belt. The sun was shining in Monterosso and I was no longer damp. There was only one thing missing-Italian food in my stomach (which kept reminding me of that fact). That had to be rectified and luckily lunch was included in the schedule of our tour (but not in the price of our tour). The guide had arranged some capacity for our group in a couple of restaurants. We would have an hour set aside to eat.

But first we would have to get there and this is where my feet come into play. I learned to walk (starting with the standing up and then falling down technique) at a young age and at that time I remember thinking "what's the point of all this?". Many years later the reason is apparent-to get to an Italian restaurant -in Italy!

The feet moved me the short distance to the town proper from the dock.






Sadly this fountain was bone-dry and was now serving as a temporary trash-can (rubbish bin for my British readers)



Nice little place but then I am biased towards old Italian towns


There is one of the two restaurants we have a booking for


We like the look of those outdoor tables!


We sat down at a table and as soon as we did a waitress came over and told us we couldn't sit there!
Ahime! (aw shucks! for my American readers) No- our booking was for seats inside and a young waiter was summoned (Subito!) to lead us there, through a warren of rooms to a small cosy room at the rear of the restaurant. No problem. We were there to eat, first and foremost and they had a menu....


The restaurant has been in business since 1971!



 Carol's dried salted codfish (Baccala) with onions


My plate of anchovies-deep fried and so delicious.


Our small dining room. At the table next to us is two French tourists, not from our ship. I speak some French and their language is like music to my ears. I seldom get the chance to speak French but I wasn't going to practice with two complete strangers who were enjoying a private meal together. They speak too fast for me to understand every word anyway.


Branzino (Sea Bass). The waiter had already cut the tail off and would now (after I got my photo) cut off the head and it was the best Bronzino I have ever tasted. Fresh from the sea! Served with fried potatoes. We love simple Italian cooking! We only need a couple of fresh ingredients, cooked perfectly to enjoy a meal.


Carol's linguine with pesto and fresh green beans


Happiness in a bottle



There's a price to pay for food this good...


 A very enjoyable meal indeed! It would have been nice to have taken a short sleep (a nap) after it but we still had some time before we had to meet our guide again....


No comments:

Post a Comment