Saturday, July 30, 2016

Rome in the dark

After our first day in Rome it was time for bed around 10 p.m. Sleep was welcome.

However I woke at 4.30 and went to use the bathroom. Once I switched on the bathroom lights a light went off in my head-one of those light bulbs that you see in cartoons when someone has a bright idea. Should I go back to bed and enjoy that sleep? Or should I throw on some clothes and go out to the square to take some photos without any people in them?

I could take an afternoon nap and catch up on my sleep later, surely?

I had walked the streets of Venice at 5 a.m, camera in hand. Now it would be Rome's turn, while she slept.

Out I went, a few Euros in my money belt to buy coffee.The car you see with it's headlights on is a taxi as there is a taxi stand occupied here at all hours of the day. That might come in handy later!


All is quiet in the hotel. I said buongiorno to the night desk clerk who was surprised to see me


There was no one around except for a couple of rats out looking for a breakfast snack. I debated whether I should just stay in the square or go for a walk. Although I didn't have much money to lose I was carrying about $3000 of camera equipment that might appeal to a mugger.


I decided to walk and made my way through the narrow streets to the wide-open Piazza Navona which is a busy hub of restaurants, cafes and buskers during the day. I had it to myself.


There was only the sound of the fountains but my ears were listening for footsteps, in case I was not alone.



 I didn't have a map with me but remembered from my last year's visit that there was an
archaeological site a few streets away. The square it sits in is called Largo di Torre Argentina. The ruins were discovered during a dig in 1927.





It was here that the first signs of life appeared this morning as people stood at bus stops that would take them to work. News stands were setting out the papers for the day and delivery trucks drove by as the first cafes prepared for another day's business.


I moved on, hoping I would remember how to get to Trevi fountain or at least see a sign pointing the way. I passed a church.




 There was a narrow maze of cobbled streets to thread my way through to find Trevi. I could hear footsteps but not see who was making them. When I came to a tiny cafe with two men sitting outside sipping espresso I asked them 'Dove Trevi?" and they pointed down the street....


Just like the year before the fountain was under refurbishment and a plexiglass wall surrounded it. There was no splashing water, just construction materials. Two officers in a police car kept watch through the night.


By now I was getting hot as I was wearing a jacket to carry all my stuff in and had been walking  a lot so I headed back to our hotel to shower and dress for breakfast when service began at 7 a.m


The cafes that surround the square on 3 sides were now staffed and setting up their sun shades for the day


We were eating breakfast early for a reason- we had tickets to visit the Forum (bought online) and planned to be there early before the crowds came.....

No comments:

Post a Comment