Sunday, May 4, 2014

Boat photos/HOPR

Here are a few stills from our time on the water.


Here we are in the dock having taken on supplies of rum and breadfruit to fight off scurvy at sea.







Safely back in the marina after a couple of hours on the water.


The captain gives the order to Abandon Ship

We would meet our hosts later that evening for a slap-up feed at the House of Prime Rib on Van Ness Street. Always a crowd there, none of them vegetarians . As the name suggests it's a beef house and a good one at that. One of those places where they push around a huge stainless steel art-deco cart with a dome, which when raised, reveals huge chunks of roasted meat. A man with a big slicing knife cuts off slices to your specifications and it is served on a plate carrying mashed potatoes, gravy, creamed spinach and Yorkshire Pudding which reminds me of my homeland-and I don't mean Yorkshire.

I am not a fan of crowded noisy restaurants as I hate to shout across a table or catch just a few words from a dining companion, but the food is good here and Prime rib isn't something I crave often. If I did then this would be the place to satisfy me.

There is an equivalent in Chicago (Meat City) which is called Lawry's Prime Rib and it was once a place for celebrating birthdays but I'd have to say it had gone downhill on my last visit which is now 10 years ago. Maybe it's time to give them another chance to keep my business. Like the HOPR they do that corny thing of making a big presentation of adding salad dressing to a bunch of chopped up lettuce. The bowl has to be spun with a running commentary for anyone who may be amazed by it.
It's part of the schtick and no one gets hurt, so it's all good.

July 3rd we will be there again!


No comments:

Post a Comment