Friday, December 30, 2016

Michelangelo's David

Once we have been electronically screened at the entrance to L'Academia we are free to enjoy our brief tour. We pass a gift shop on the way in.


While waiting for our group to assemble  around our guide I take the opportunity for a bathroom break downstairs as who knew when I'd get the chance again?


We turn a corner led by our guide and get our first glimpse of David and the crowd.....


As always I am wearing my Rick Steves money belt  to avoid my pockets being picked


I have to take photos over the heads of those before me as we move slowly along



Looking back over my shoulder...yikes!


Why he wore no clothes is still a mystery



Thankfully selfie sticks and flash photography are not allowed here


The tree stump serves as a support for the statue







Once I had circumnavigated the statue I was free to break away from the crowd and explore briefly the other rooms nearby to look at works that don't attract large numbers of lookers








It doesn't take long to see it and to  marvel at Michelangelo's skill. The guide gathered us up into a group again and like most museums we had to exit through another gift shop where my quest for a fridge magnet was futile




Once outside again we set off on a walk through the streets of Florence to see some of its architectural beauty.....

No comments:

Post a Comment