Friday, June 27, 2014

Approaching Ketchikan

The UBD was ultimately followed by a karaoke performance before bedtime. I don't think we ate another morsel all night although there was plenty of opportunity as there always is on a Princess ship.

Bed was calling and again I set the phone alarm for 4.30 as I wanted to be up and ready to see the ship approaching Ketchikan, a little eye-candy town clinging to the mountains that sweep down to the sea.

Here would be our first landfall and our first excursion off the ship. On our previous Alaska cruise exactly a year prior we had sailed on Coral Princess and not knowing whether we'd ever be back this way again we chose some exciting excursions-kayaking in Canada on Bennett Lake, a scenic train ride on the White Pass railway back into Skagway, a helicopter landing on Taku Glacier in Juneau followed 30 minutes later by whale watching from a small boat with Harv 'n Marv tours.  In Ketchikan we took a floatplane tour over Misty Fjords. All of that cost $1600 for two (helicopter was $600 alone)

This time I wanted us to stay low and set our feet on Alaskan soil more instead of flying over it so I chose excursions that would keep us at ground level. Excursion videos will follow later.

In the wee hours of the morning the ship is at it's most beautiful for me. All is calm and there are no crowds. I head out from our aft cabin at 5 a.m to get my first coffee in the deck 5 Patisserie. Only staff are there and crew members step aside to let me get my coffee first, which is a nice customer service touch and appreciated as I need my coffee so I can get up onto the open decks to savor the early morning air and mists. At 5.30 I will take a seat and eat the fresh food from the excellent buffet.
The hot food has just been put out into the trays and I serve myself. A waitress from the Ukraine takes my request for orange juice (yes) iced water (indeed) and coffee (hell yes!)

A vast amount of bacon and fried potatoes is consumed as are many cold cuts including mortadella a passion of mine. Crispy bread rolls with butter are layered with bacon to become a bacon sandwich of the Gods. A little ketchup-why not? Live a little here!

The ship is mine to enjoy at this hour.

Up on deck, on the roof of the bridge, I put the camcorder to work...(video)


No comments:

Post a Comment